Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pony Up

If you are ever headed East on Highway 290 your way out of Austin you will come across a few towns with a claim to fame. Everyone knows Elgin is the place to go for the best sausage, McDade has the Watermelon Festival, and Giddings has antiques. But first, before anything else, is Manor.  There isn't much to report about Manor, but there is a diamond in this rural rough; Manor Downs. Manor Downs, you ask? Yes, there is a Horse Track outside of Austin only open for live races for 6 weeks out of the year. Just like the town, if you don't pay attention you just may miss the racing season.

A few years ago my friend, Trever, convinced my friend Kara and I to experience Manor Downs. His rational for us was that it would be an excellent venue for day drinking with a potential to meet men. Trever's motive was focused on having company, or someone with an ATM card handy, while he made tragic gambling choices. As good as Trever was at making a strong argument it is a shame his gambling odds were never quite as strong. 

On a recent Sunday afternoon, I went to Manor with a group of friends and introduced my brother to the Track. Harlan walked up and put down a $20 bet on whatever horse I had bet on for the race. I flipped out! The most amount of money I had placed in all my experience at Manor Downs was $6! Without concern, Harlan decided to bet for my horse to show, and sure enough he won double his money. After he won, I decided to tell him my wisdom in choosing the winner... good names.  Kara and I found that in the past the offspring of Shazoom were winners; and because all the horses are named from a combo of both parents' names, "She's a Zooming" was bound to win! The horses are mostly young with little race experience so bets are generally risky regardless of the statistics. It is a good thing Harlan didn't bet on my first horse who trotted across the finish line without his jockey! I am sure there are more precise ways to place bets, but what's the fun in that? 

In addition to horse races every 30 minutes or so there is also a constant spectacle of people to watch. I mentioned earlier that Trever tried to lure Kara and I with the temptation of men at these events. While there are plenty of men present, last time I checked I wasn't into the Modern Mexican Cowboy motif. Even if you loose all your money on the horses you at least gain knowledge of the latest fashions in cowboy boots and Wranglers. I guess you can't win at everything... 

Manor Downs is open on Saturday and Sundays March 6th-April 18th for live races, it's $2 to park, $2 for admission, $3.50 for beers, and $2 for bets. It is no Kentucky Derby, but I am willing to take my chances that I will always have a good time!

http://www.manordowns.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment