Monday, March 1, 2010

Hippos for Lunch

One of my many jobs consists of me driving out to people's homes and teaching them parenting skills. No, I don't have any kids of my own; but someone thinks I am qualified. Stranger combinations have occurred just like finding Hippos all over a Central Texas town.

One thing you must know, I really like Hippos... or well... at least the Hippopotamus Song. So naturally I was drawn to check out Hutto, TX. Hutto, just outside of Austin where the mascot for the High School and the entire town is the Hippo. Odd as it may seem there is a story. Legend has it that in 1915 a circus train broke down and a Hippo got loose and found refuge in a muddy creek. Since then the Hippo has made it's way into every crevice of life in Hutto. No lie, there is a mural dedicated to the Hippo on the wall of the chamber of commerce in town. Endearing or absurd? I haven't decided. 

Two minutes away from my appointment I get a call... another dramatic story about baby daddies and whatnot... the appointment is canceled. Great. To turn a total wash of a drive and a day to something positive I decided to treat myself to lunch at the legendary Texan Cafe. Since Texas Monthly rated it as one of the top 40 diners in the state I have been meaning to give it a shot.

The food was good; what one would expect at a good old country diner in Texas. I went for the chicken fried steak - if you don't know what that is get yourself to Texas ASAP and I will introduce you.  After the huge and tasty lunch platter I had to have a famous piece of Texan Cafe pie. Yes, I ate an entire chicken fried steak, 2 sides and a piece of pie. Don't judge. There were about 20 pies to choose from and the turtle pie with caramel, cream, and chocolate was so delicious! I had to be adventurous but I am sure the traditional pies are exceptional as well. I figure I will have to go back to try the other 19 pies! At least we know with the Texan Cafe close by I won't be a hungry hungry hippo! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment