Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mobile friends and BBQ

I hesitate to assume that Austin is the only place you can find food in a unique location, but earlier this week my friend and I found a gem of a restaurant... on a school bus. Old School BBQ & Grill.

An Austin original is to get quality food out of a trailer, but Old School takes trailer food to the next level. Driving along MLK I busted a "U" when I spotted the big yellow bus I had heard about but never seen. My friend Emily and I pull up and hop out in the freezing dark cold and check to out the menu. Turns out on this particular day (and I suspect most other days) they are just about sold out of everything on the menu. Emily and I ask the jovial cook to tell us what we CAN get and he informs us that all they have left are burgers, brisket, and fries. Perfect. We will have one of each. No he says, you will each need your own fries. Ok, then you're the boss.

After we place our order we are then honorably invited to join the party ON the bus rather than waiting in the cold. While our new friend informs us this isn't typical and he never lets customers on the bus we spot two of his groupies chilling in the front seat hanging out. We take the risk. While watching our new friend Dan cook our food we hear his story of opening something like 56 restaurants in 12 countries in 3 continents. AMAZING. Then his sidekick, Trey, returns and joins in on the cooking. Em and I squeeze in the corner of the bus and slap on our napkins to devour the food. The burger was so good we forgot to add condiments and there was nothing left of the chopped brisket sandwich or the homemade sweet and chunky BBQ sauce. It was a good thing I was safely on the bus cause we definitely went took a ride to flavor town.

Now I am pretty sure that experience can't be repeated for everyone but THAT is what I love about Austin. Making new friends down by the railroad tracks. 

Available Mon 11am-3pm, at 3001 East Cesar Chavez St; Tue-Sat 12pm-6pm at MLK Jr. Blvd & Clifford Ave

No comments:

Post a Comment