Sunday, February 14, 2010

Jazz Hands!

In general, it isn't my scene to be found in a basement bar soulfully listening to jazz music. But hey, it's twenty ten and time for a change. 

A random connection and a need to get out of the house sparked an adventure to the Elephant Room on Congress. At 715pm my friend Emily calls and invites me to go with her to see an Austin original, Kat Edmonson. The catch was we had to be there by 8pm. Up for a challenge, this girl was ready and out of the house in 20 minutes! Sure enough Emily and I got there and the line was out the door but we made it in just before the bouncer all but stopped the line for the next 3 hours. As it turns out Ms. Edmonson draws quite the crowd and doesn't go on until 930. True to our hosts reassurances, she was well worth the wait. 

Kat is a beautifully tiny woman with a distinctive and sultry voice. New to the whole jazz scene I was caught off guard when conversation throughout the bar all but stopped when she stepped on stage.  The entire basement bar was transfixed with this woman and her melodic band. Needless to say I bought a CD and fell in love with the jazz scene that night. Striking up a quite conversation (only between sets of course) with the random strangers seated at our table and trying the uniquely served Belgium beer, Kwak, are also novelties of the Elephant Room scene. 

Elephant Room and Kat Edmonson, I heart you. Thank you for being in Austin. Who knows, maybe one day I will be that girl at the end of the bar sitting alone with a fedora mysteriously covering my face while drinking a dry martini...


http://www.elephantroom.com/ 
http://katedmonson.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment