Monday, September 6, 2010

Setting the Pace on the Lake

I have recently taken the liberty of excusing myself from blogging due to my busy travel and social life that took over the month of August. On a whim, my friend Jessica and I took a two week trip to Australia.  Australia lived up to our expectations and we succeeded in saturating every moment with kangaroos, koalas and of course adventure that could fill up a blog all of its own. However, I digress, as I am here to blog about Austin; and Austin, I am back and I still love you dearly. :-)

After acclimating myself back to routine I was more than thankful to have a three day weekend to soak up all that I love about Austin. Going out with friends, dinner at a new restaurant, swimming at Barton Springs, brunch, watching a friend play tennis, swimming at the pool, parties in the neighborhood, and of course a new adventure! 

As September hit Austin the 100+ degree weather finally dropped back down to somewhere in the 80's range and completely bearable and perfect for a day at the lake. Today my friend Emily agreed to take me up on checking out Pace Bend Park on Lake Travis, with Lucy, a picnic, and a few beers in tow. Just about 30 minutes West of Austin off HW-71, Pace Bend offers hiking, biking, camping, horseback riding, cliff jumping, swimming, and access points for boats and jet skis. With nine miles of shoreline there was no shortage of peaceful quite areas to park our car and have a relaxing day on the beach, even on Labor day. 


Having heard Pace Bend was a leash free area I knew Lucy would be in heaven when I opened the car door leading her to her freedom. Just out of the car and slathering on sunscreen we were abruptly informed by the unpleasant park ranger that Lucy was only allowed off leash in the water and what we thought was a fact was only a false rumor. I fully blame that man for the splotchy burn and the subsequent stubbed toe and cut finger that I suffered chasing Lucy when she spotted a vulture... 

Shortly after the setback of the rule enforcement a man in a truck with two jet skis parked himself right next to our picnic. Yes, I am completely aware of how assuming it is for a man with no other friends present to park his two jet skis next to two women on the beach. However, it is not surprising that we obliged his offer to ride his said jet skis that afternoon. Ranger Rain on Our Parade also informed us we were in the wrong area for jet skiing. We quickly moved out of his jurisdiction and had a pleasant afternoon with no further interruptions. At this point we canceled any plans to take a hike and spent the afternoon jet skiing and playing fetch with Lucy, in the water, of course. 

We departed our jet ski friend and journeyed further along the shoreline to watch brave souls jump the limestone cliffs several stories high into the water. As much fun as jumping off cliffs sounds, I plan on saving that challenge for the next excursion to Pace Bend. I also plan on making the trip back to Pace Bend quicker than I got out there in the first place. I am shocked it took me so long to venture out to this park because we absolutely loved it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment