Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Indiana Jones Adventure

In keeping with the Alamo Drafthouse theme... I would like to recall my favorite adventure with my good friend Trever. Up until now all the events have been current but I cannot neglect to recount the Indiana Jones Adventure. I am no Indiana Jones movie buff nor do I really care to be the first person to see any movie but yet again I was convinced by Trever to tag along for something different. 

By tag along I mean Trever needed me to purchase tickets to the said adventure as I was the only one willing to put both tickets on my credit card knowing full well it would take a month to get paid back. (I love you trev! :-))

In 2008, when Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opened we joined about 60 mega fans on a tour bus around Austin for "one-of-a-kind danger flavored excursion." No lie, that's what their blog said. http://blog.originalalamo.com/category/uncategorized/page/17/. With that kind of marketing how could I pass it up?

Our excursion began on a Wednesday afternoon and provided an "Indy Fedora" and an unlimited supply of Tecate (cause that's what Indiana Jones drinks when he drinks beer, obvi) for the bus ride to Cypress Valley Canopy Tours. If we could hear it over the excitement of the crowd, Indiana Jones movies played on repeat for our entertainment.   A short ride later we arrived and were asked to secure our fedoras for some zip-lining through the forest. It's like a roller coaster in the woods! I have some pretty quality pictures from this. I don't recall but I believe we were then to search for artifacts throughout the forest. I'm thinking I missed this to zip line a second time or chat it up with the new friend Trever and I made, Zach, who happened to be the guy who organizes special events for the Alamo Drafthouse

Next, we were on to a studio on the East Side to watch "Texas Snake Man" Jackie Bibby charm snakes. Jackie Bibby is not your average snake charmer... this man is a world record holder for some pretty safe choices in life. He played with the snakes, sat in a tub full of snakes (87 is his record) and put 10 rattlesnakes in his mouth and swung them around like it was no big deal. We watched him do the latter while we were provided the fine cuisine of alligator and naturally... rattlesnake. It tasted like chicken! With a little more beer we left the studio and returned to the Alamo Drafthouse to return to our strategically reserved seats for the midnight showing of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The movie was ridiculous.... aliens... really? I won't be watching that again anytime soon. The adventure was also ridiculous, in a good way though. I loved it and I obviously have not forgotten how an average movie can be awesome at the Alamo, even if it is just for one night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment